I’ve been working with start ups for the last 12 years. Some of the startups I’ve been involved with are:
- An E-learning product for 3-5 year olds
- A Surf School in the Caribbean
- A [sun] Tanning Studio
- Promotional Merchandise Businesses (manufacturing, wholesale distribution and online retail arms)
- Mobile phone services (online business)
- Holisitic Health and Wellness Web 2.0 Community
- Various others that didn’t get traction
The typical Situation: Somebody else has a business idea they want help with.
How I contribute:
- Identify what the most important things are to making money.
- Build a minimum viable product and run it by potential customers/users.
- Iterate to find an offer that people buy into.
- Develop and operate a fulfilment system or the product, often with many manual steps
- Scale marketing using direct marketing to grow number of customers.
- Automate fulfilment systems and make them scalable
- Put in place financial controls and reporting
- Recruit staff to assist growth
- Prepare and present training materials to them so they can run the business
- Work myself out of a job. A business is left behind.
Obviously not all businesses require all the steps as some won’t get past stage 3.
You can also find out more on my linked in profile